Wednesday 27 January 2021

Something Local

 Going back to last year in early October, I was out on my local patch at Brascote where I picked up a small wader in my binoculars; I set up my scope and there was a first for the patch in the shape of a Knot. When Carl Baggot and Adey Baker turned up to view the Knot, Carl also found a patch tick - a female Red-breasted Merganser but sadly, no images as the bird was no sooner there than it was gone again!

Knot

Later on in October, another patch tick was found by Carl - a Yellow-browed warbler, but again, sadly no images. It was found again a week or so later by Nick Sharpe; whether it was the same bird or not, who knows?

Carl was wandering on the west side of the patch one day in early November when he found a new friend - a Reeve's Pheasant. He posted a video on social media showing the bird around his feet, being rather sociable considering it was in a cover crop for game birds. Later in the month, Carl and I arranged to meet on site to have a look for it again, but with no luck - although we did find yet another patch tick - a Brambling mixed in with a flock of Chaffinch. Over the following couple of months, Carl and Adey saw in excess of twenty Brambling but it wasn't until late November that I finally saw the beautiful Reeve's Pheasant. I know it's not a tick, but it's still one very stunning bird!


Images of the stunning Reeve's Pheasant

 In early December, Andy Smith found a Russian White-fronted Goose at Thornton Reservoir, so, having not seen one in the county for a very long while, I decided to go and have a look when Andy gave me the heads-up that the Greylag Goose flock it had been associating with came back onto the dam; Twenty minutes later, I was watching said bird.

Russian White-fronted Goose

Russian White-fronted Goose

Another treat from Brascote was the Starling murmuration that had been happening every evening before the flock came in to roost in the sallows. Stunning to watch between 8,000 - 10,000 birds flying above our heads; the sight and sound as they settle down is amazing!





Starling Murmuration

Early January, my good mate Dave Gray found an Iceland Gull at Watermead Country Park South. Once again, it's been a long time since I saw one, so I headed off to the Park to see it. Another good friend, Mark Skevington had found what was first thought to be a juvenile Glaucous Gullbut having sent some images to some very experienced county birders, it was declared as a Herring Gull/Glaucous Gull hybrid - sometimes known as a Viking Gull; a really educational bird!



Iceland Gull


Herring/Glaucous Gull (Viking Gull)

As always, I hope you enjoy reading about my exploits and seeing a few images. I also hope that you and your families are all keeping safe.....

Thanks for stopping by.














2 comments:

  1. Blimey, that Reeve's is smart! Nice to see some good Starling action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stunning bird Skev, the Starlings were brilliant, but what got me Skev was the sound of there wings when flying above you. A real good spectacle.

      Delete