Tuesday 4 April 2017

WilowTree Fen Bluethroat

Just before I went into hospital for my ankle operation, my mate Dave Gray asked if I was interested in going to have look at a small chat in the shape of a Bluethroat (Luscinia svecica), which had been at Willow Tree Fen LWT, just south west of Spalding in Lincolnshire for several weeks, so, on Thursday 23rd of March, Dave and I made the one hour and twenty five minutes drive towards Spalding. After parking up at the small car park, we made our way down the track for about 4 or 5 hundred metres to where the bird had been showing. There was just one other birder pacing up and down as we approached the area. The first question from any birder is 'has the bird been showing?' His reply was that he'd had a brief glimpse of it before it had disappeared back into the reeds; that was good news - at least the bird was still there, so it was just a matter of time before it would reappear. We didn't have to wait long as within 10 minutes of us arriving - and  just  a few yards away  - this jewel of a bird was on show for a good 10 minutes, giving me plenty of time for a few images, then it was off to Macky D's for a coffee! We had a good mornings' birding, and although I have seen quite few Bluethroats over the years, it's always nice to bump into another of these great little birds.
Below are a few images of the Bluethroat









As always, thanks for stopping by and hopefully I'll be back in action before too long!

3 comments: