Monday 29 May 2017

Out and about, nearly

Well, its been just over 8 weeks since my operation on my ankle, the first six being the worst, as I couldn't put any weight on it at all! - At last I can now start weight bearing, although I've still got 4 more weeks to go before I go back to see the consultant!  I'm getting there slowly but surely, and I have ventured out on a couple of occasions - both times with my birding buddy Pete Asher. The first time was to Stamford Reservoir for a double County tick in the shape of  a Bar-tailed Godwit  (I know it's a 'tart's tick);  the other species, which a lot of the Leicestershire birding fraternity needed, was a group of 3 Black-winged Stilt. This wasn't too bad, as Pete could park the car, and I only needed to take a few hops on my crutches before I was looking at both birds!
My second adventure was to Albert Village Lake for a Great Reed Warbler which had been found by 4 of my mates during a Leicestershire bird race. This was a very different scenario as  I had to put the wheelchair into action; I was okay,  but felt a bit sorry for my mate, who had to push me downhill to the other end of the lake and then push me back up the hill to the car.... cheers mate!
Last week, I went to find a new butterfly for me in the shape of a Marsh Fritillary, at Chambers Farm Wood in Lincolnshire, with another mate, Dave Gray. It was a new reserve for both of us. Two of our friends, Mark Lewis and Steve James had been there the previous week, and both got some really good images of the butterfly. Dave and I  parked the car and made our way onto the White Trail for the 500 meter walk to Little Scrubbs meadow, a SSSI site. It was hard going for me as it was the furthest I had walked (with the aid of my crutches) for nearly 2 months;  the day before, over 100 Marsh Fritillaries had been counted. On the way, we encountered this gorgeous butterfly on the footpath, well before the meadow, but once in the meadow (although I didn't venture too far in) there were lots of them - and what a great habitat for them! Below are a few images of this beautiful insect

                                                      The underside of the Marsh Fritillary              
                                                                    Marsh Fritillary
                                                                      Marsh Fritillary

Well, its good to be back doing a bit on my blog again - it seems its been such a long while since I went to Willow Tree Fen to see the Bluethroat! Hope its not too long now before normal service is resumed!
As always thanks for stopping by



4 comments:

  1. It's good to see your starting to get about Colin. I hope you can get out more and more. Great butterflies by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Carl, getting there slowly but surely. Yes certainly are a lovely butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah hurry up and get fixed, need some assistance checking the owl boxes, making my aviary and fixing the loft hatch!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will get all that done buddy, there is one sure thing I will never get the sympathy vote from you haha.......

    ReplyDelete